Tuesday, July 08, 2008

July 9, 1983

I moved to Florida June 1, 1982 A single mother of two elementary school aged daughters... starting over. "Meet people your own age", my mother said. NOT interested but unable to avoid her nagging, I agreed to attend a Parent's Without Partners meeting.

The median age was 65+, I was 32. There was a special 20's and 30's group. I walked in with my nose in the air, only to please my mother, who was baby sitting. I sat there thinking of ways to tell her this wasn't happening again. Meeting over. ::Sigh!:: The 20's/30's group were going to socialize at a near by night club. Knowing it was too early to go home I drove around before finally deciding to "stop by for one drink" so I could truthfully say I'd participated.

The last to arrive, there was only one vacant seat... next to the cute guy who was there only to get lucky. (He didn't) It was a rule you had to dance if asked. He did. It was nice. Eventually asking for a date... dinner the next night. I went. Dinner and then dancing at the beach. Then PWP volleyball on Monday... he picked me up.

July 9, 1983... in my living room, we were married witnessed by 25 family and dear friends.

Tonight, 25 years later, friends from our Wednesday night dinner group are hosting a formal, intimate dinner party in our honor. Sometimes if seems like yesterday. Sometimes it seems like forever. There have been many trials and tribulations. For better or worse. Sickness and health. And so far... as long as we both shall live.

4 Comments:

At 1:19 AM, Blogger Blogzie said...

Such a lovely story.

Congrats to both of you.

x0x0x

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Mary said...

Congrats...

I love to read happy stories.

Mary

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

25 years. Isn't that the silver one? Well...look for the silver lining in the "cap". That's working since it's still keeping the vans away from the door.
rQm w/xo

 
At 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home