Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Bye Harry

The young author appeared on Rosie's show. She'd written a children's book on a pad of paper in a coffee shop. Rosie gave her a Mac.

We were going on a road trip. Rosie had raved. Curious, I went to Sam's and bought the book and had it read in three states.

Fabulous story. Expertly written. Wanting more, I could think of little else as we traveled. Remarkable... just remarkable.

I offered my copy to the daughters of hubby's cousin. No thanks said the holy roller mama when I described the subject matter. But this is good vs evil... just like the Wizard of Oz... Star Wars... not the same she said. Witches and wizards. Your loss.

I have pre-ordered every subsequent volume and read each with the same excitement as the first. Devouring every word... even the ones I couldn't pronounce. I even checked out the audio books from the library so I could hear them read with a British accent.

Book seven, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows, came out last July. I was in Salt Lake City and hit Barnes and Noble the day it went on sale. Started it several times but somehow never got into it. Maybe I didn't want the saga to end.

Last week I decided to read it before starting a new job. I finished it this morning and that somehow saddens me. The characters are my friends. I feel a fool for raving on so, but I'll miss their adventures. I was satisfied with the way it ended but would love her to write another series.

Thank you JK Rowling for your creative mind. Your imagination and gift for story telling. You have done wonders for children's literature. Amazing talent... truly amazing.


1 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Blogger CrackerLilo said...

You know, I don't like the books all that well, but I love that they got children reading and families talking. I love too how J. K. Rowling earned her success. It gives me so much hope! I think there truly is magic in those books.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home