Thursday, June 05, 2008

June 6, 1968...

...was my high school graduation day. The whirlwind week was working up to the moment I would finally be free after 18 years!

The day before had been disturbing at best... another attempted assassination. I went to bed praying he'd be alright. Mother woke me with the devastating news. He was gone.

My first thought was of his family... all those children and another on the way. Then, the impact on the country... he was our hope, our salvation. No one else could stop the war and bring peace. At least, not in my mind.



His campaign posters covered my bedroom walls. Buttons, bumper stickers, pins, I had it all. Obsessed with his campaign and his election. Not being old enough to vote was frustrating but it didn't matter, he was not only going to be the candidate but the President! I was sure. I could feel it. With one shot my dreams were shattered. My world went cold. The dream now a nightmare. Nothing would ever be the same again. The light had been snuffed out. Reality.

The day of the funeral I wrote a note of sympathy to Ethel. A few weeks later a reply arrived in the mail.

Forty years have passed. Hard to believe. The event still saddens my heart. I miss his smile, his heart, his mind, his ideals.

3 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Blogger alan said...

Ideals...so sadly forgotten in this "brave new world"!

I think I'm glad I wasn't older!

alan

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

And so it goes....

But we can still remember. We do still remember.

STB

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Green tea said...

A day I will never forget, I was working on his campaign..it knocked the air out of me and it took me a couple years to recover, but recover
I did and because of Bobbie I became a political activist
I too have that thank you from Ethel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home