Sunday, January 22, 2006

Dad's family

This photo was taken in 1950 or 1951 in my grandparents living room. That's my dad and mother standing on the left. His parents, Grandpop and Grandmom (holding me) then dad's brother.

In front (from left) are my dad's sister, her husband and two children. Brother's wife and daughter.

Grandpop died in '55, Grandmom in '57 and Dad in June of 2004 at age 80. Dad's brother lives here. We had dinner at their house on Friday, he's 94! His sister is 92 and also lives in Florida as do both her children.

Grandpop and Grandmom were great loving small town folks. Grandmom was a sweet god fearing woman. Grandpop a local car dealer. His handshake was an iron clad contract. His word was gold. I loved them both so much and spent a lot of time in their home. The youngest of their grandchildren and the only one who lived in the same town, I was spoiled rotten!

Grandpop raised horses and gave me two Shetland ponies on my THIRD birthday. Midget, a dapple grey, and Penny, a paint. Midget was my favorite. He had Monroe Veach (who was a famous local saddle maker) make me a custom pony saddle. I still have it... black with silver studs and matching bridle. Naturally you MUST have the cowboy outfit to go with all that. The suede jacket with fringe and hand tooled belt are hanging in my closet. Somewhere along the line I lost the hat but that's ok, I still have a Davey Crocket coonskin cap. Until about age 10 I had a wonderful childhood... living in a small rural town in North Central Missouri... both sets of grandparents to know and love... lots of friends... no worries...

We moved to Ohio when I was eleven and that's when & where I learned just how cruel the real world could be.
(click on the photos to enlarge)

6 Comments:

At 11:24 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Oh Connie...I can't wait to hear more!

I'm so jealous...you got not one pony but two!

And the outfits to go with them!

Damn!

STB

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Blogzie said...

Who knew you had the Gloria Vanderbilt childhood with ponies and saddles and riding costumes?

How lovely, Ms. Connie Jane.

I love these old photos. The clothing, the furniture and the memories it all brings back.

In the second photo, the woman who is fifth from the right, just has the coolest dress and from her posture you know she knows it.

What a classic!

x0x0x0x

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Connie in FL said...

Blogzie,

That's Aunt Helen... she was Brother's first wife and she was a HOOT. Born in Princeton, Mo (birthplace of Calamity Jane) she had fiery red hair and a personality to match. She was cool WAY before her time. Too much fun.

In later years she became an alcoholic and sadly passed away in the spring of 1970. They brought her back to MO for her funeral and burial and it's the best funeral I ever attended. It was a fabulous party to celebrate her life.

His current wife isn't nearly as much fun.

XOXO

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger nancy =) said...

you are so lucky...what a lovely childhood, and what a lovely family...these photos are fabulous!!

thanks for sharing, cj =)

~ n

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger alan said...

I don't know if it's because they came from "large" families, or just the things they believed in, but that generation really held their families together. I remember the holiday dinners at my Mom's parents; once they gave up their house, everyone kind of went their own way...

Lovely photos!

alan

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger RED QUILT MAKER said...

WOW...TRENTON.

There's that wonderful father of yours. Oh how I loved him.

And your mom too.
I'm so glad she's still around.
I just love her too.

Love you too!

rQm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home