Saturday, July 09, 2005

A Law of Physics?

I have never been good at science or math so perhaps someone who is can enlighten me.

Today I cleaned out a file cabinet drawer. In doing so, I filled up two paper grocery bags with obsolete papers. One for shredding, one just trash. The part I don't understand is this. If I stack up the contents of the two bags it would probably be a couple of feet high. However, I only gained two inches of space in the file cabinet!!!

Is this some freak of nature or something? I understand 100 pounds of fertilizer won't fit in a 50 pound sack and this can probably be figured out using algebra, but I sure don't get it.

3 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger BlogDog said...

Clearly, you had compressed the fluffy paper while it was in the file cabinet.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

I have no answer, but cleaning must have been going around! I spent most of the morning cleaning up my computer, deleting, sorting etc. What happened to that paperless society we were promised in grade school?

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Connie in FL said...

Actually, I knew the answer all along. It just seemed like after all that work there should have been more empty space to show for it. On to the binders full of operations manuals for items we not longer own.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home