Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Random Thoughts on War

Have you read Rosie's blog today? If not, you should. She's posted an article written by E.L. Doctorow who uses some awesome words to describe his view of "W".
The Unfeeling President is worth the read.
link --------------------------->

Yesterday was another travel day, made most interesting by a twisted back. My fabulous visit with dear daughter and her hubby came to a close and I was off for home. Waiting in line at the Salt Lake City airport I couldn't help but notice several fellow passengers who had obviously attended the VFW convention. (The hats always give you away.) A lady about my age or a little younger got in line right behind me. Our flight was still over an hour away but when you fly Southwest you are cattle and must wait in your appropriate pen to get a good seat. We were first and second to board the Vegas bound plane where I would change for Tampa and she for San Diego.

Polite conversation followed regarding why we were each in SLC. She had been there for the VFW convention and began to gush about how thrilling the president's speech had been. How wonderful Laura's presence had been and how awful the protesters were. "They grabbed at us and yelled in our faces about ending the war! One of them even touched me." My expression must have changed because she then added something like no matter your view, he's still THE president. The hair on my neck stood up. I was stuck spending the next hour in line with this person I instantly disliked. Shame on her for changing the subject from the weather and Utah tourism to such a heated topic - Shame on me for not saying exactly what I was thinking right then. I don't like confrontation and my back was hurting so I decided not to get into a debate there in the airport. Thankfully, her son's orthodontist called about that time wondering why he wasn't there for his appointment.

Whew, saved by the dreaded cell phone. While she frantically called Grandma, the son, then the doctor's office I racked my brain for the words I could have used to express my opinion tactfully. Since I couldn't come up with anything that didn't contain the phrase "that son of a bitch" in it, I let her tell me about how irresponsible her 16 year old son was for being late to his appointment.

I wonder if her views of THE president and the war will change if two years from now that same child is drafted to serve his country as a soldier in Iraq? If he's killed, will she recall the day he got his braces off while she was on her way home from hearing THE president speak in SLC? Will she then look to Cindy Sheehan for guidance?

3 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Or will she realize that her son was behaving exactly as "the President."


IRRESPONSIBLY

STB

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger RED QUILT MAKER said...

Sadly she will probably look to Falwell for guidance if god forbid her own child is a casualty.
Glad you are home safe.
RQM

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Anne said...

so many people out there are oblivious to what is really going on in this country-and that is just how bush and co. want it. but there are more and more awakening to the bullshit. so lets keep talking about it! nice job, conniejane-thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home