Monday, April 25, 2005

Family Ties

On the subject of relatives...

When I was in high school a beloved cousin and his partner came to visit. They arrived baring gifts. Mine was a ceramic piggy bank, a sculpture really, with a huge cork in it's face. I stored small treasurers in my unique pig... still do. It was a special gift because of who had given it more so than the gift itself. They brought my parents an antique coffee grinder, which lives with my sister now, and a wonderful antique candy jar which by rights should be mine one day.

I don't remember if there was a special reason for the visit or how long they stayed. What I do remember is how my self esteem was impacted by their visit. I hated Ohio and the arrogance of the people in the small village we'd moved to from rural Missouri. I was at least 16 because I remember driving them around. During our time together, they seemed truly interested in what was important to me then. Trivial and immature no doubt. Over burgers at the PDQ, they asked about me. Boyfriends, music, chit chat but not like other adults. REAL conversation. Not condescending. Not judging. Not scolding. They made me feel special and that just maybe they understood a very insecure teenager. I cherished that time and appreciated their caring and consideration.

Time passed.

He's back in my life after years with no contact. Picking up where we left off. I love that. I want to know everything I have missed in his life and for him to know how thrilled I am he's back and close by. He has an infectious laugh and is most insightful. I'm in awe of him still. Sensitive and caring. Wise and witty. He's seen so much though those eyes and yet they sparkle. Somehow, I feel I have a certain degree of tolerance and understanding because of him.

The grandmother we shared was a very special woman who had a tremendous influence on both our lives. She was the most loving person I have ever known and I probably loved her more that any other human being in my life. I have her hands but he has her heart.

He's my favorite cousin. I know, I shouldn't have favorites, but I do.

2 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

In the best possible way!

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lump in the throat time.
So dear, so you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home