Sunday, April 23, 2006

White House Visit

That's me in this faded vintage photo, standing in front of the Kennedy White House. No security guards, no road blocks, just me in a Kodak moment.

It was 1961 and my dear grandparents had taken the train from Missouri to Ohio to visit us in our new home. I missed them terribly after we moved and they were no longer just across town. Grandmother had always wanted to visit our nation's capital so Mother loaded up her parents and two young daughters into her Ford station wagon and drove to Washington D.C.

She parked right in front of the Lincoln Memorial so her crippled father didn't have to walk too far. Ditto at the Washington Monument. We did all the tourist things including a tour or the White House. Mother insisted we wear dresses
in case Jackie invited us up for tea. LOL Who am I kidding? We wore dresses all the time. We were spared the gloves this day because it was about 100 degrees.

9 Comments:

At 10:42 PM, Blogger dondon009 said...

I remember photographs like this....

When I get to Canada this summer, I have to beg my mom for pictures; but then of course, I remember black and white pictures too......

what next? Maybe someday we'll be able to take photographs from our cell phones!

OH, that's right..... we can.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger RED QUILT MAKER said...

This is the day you became a democrate, right.

rQm

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger RED QUILT MAKER said...

please disregard that "e"

lol

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Connie in FL said...

RQM...
'tis true I learned to be a democrat from our grandmother!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger sjobs said...

It looks like the good old days.

I just love those old photos.

Mary

 
At 12:51 AM, Blogger Anne said...

ah yes, before ultra-paranoia.
what a classic shot.

 
At 9:54 PM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Oh darling, this is just the best.

Thank you!

STB

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger alan said...

Thinking wistful thoughts...

of Camelot!

alan

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Clandestine said...

such a great photo :)

the only time i've been near the white house has been for marches. haha. i should go back sometime - but not until we have a new president, i think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home