Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Beyond Comprehension

Today, while reading one blog after another, Bush bashing, chortling over bad pictures with funny caption balloons... I ran across something that stopped me cold. While clicking link after link.... there it was. The truth. It took but a second to burn forever in my mind.

A simple mouse click, guiding me from one site to another.... one photo to another, then finally to a photo I hadn't seen before. All those pictures out there of bodies floating... nameless, faceless, just one of many statistics... no emotion, no reaction... just there... as if props in a movie. Fact of life... what a shame.

This time it was different, probably a picture the government doesn't want the world to see. There, in the receding flood waters. a bloated body floated face down.... just like dozens I'd seen before... only this time....

This time, in the picture with the body, there were two starving dogs. Need I be more graphic? I can't bring myself to type the description.

OMG!!! I stared at the photo while frantically clicking the mouse to make the image go away. But, it will never go away.

Who was he two weeks ago.... last year... 1960? What did he do? Family? Friends? Hobbies? Republican? Democrat? Gay? Straight? How long has he been floating there? How did he die? When did the dogs find him?

That is the reality.... not Dubya or Dick, or Barbara with their photo opportunities and orchestrated lip service. No folks, what I saw in that photograph will never leave my mind. If I couldn't handle that one picture, what is happening to the minds of those who now rescue and recover? Working non-stop. Seeing the tragedy worsen daily. They are the heroes now. That's the reality.

5 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

CJ...while I didn't see that image and I am glad that I did not, I know from where you speak.

We preach to ourselves. We are the converted. We didn't vote for him then, we won't vote for them in the future.

Let us hope that those invovled in the ongoing battle to reclaim lives lost all along the Gulf Coast are given all the support they duly deserve.

STB

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger dondon009 said...

The two starving dogs could have been his companions. He might(as so many before him and countless others after him), have refused to evacuate without his "family". Are we ever going to learn a lesson from all this needless death?

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger nancy =) said...

oh. my. word.

this whole thing has now gone entirelt beyond my realm of comprehension...

if katrina doesn't ignite a change in the leadership of this country then i don't know what will...

peace...

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Blogzie said...

I'm sorry you had to see that Connie Jane.

It is just the type of image that 'they' hope you don't see.

Rove is already getting Katrina and the aftermath pushed off the headlines.

So very tragic.

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Sublime said...

I have no words for this ConnieJane, just sadness.

Take care,
Sublime

 

Post a Comment

<< Home