Sunday, January 11, 2009

Happy New Year!


It's been almost a month. A very busy month!

I was fortunate enough to be able to visit my daughter, Mrs. H, in London. She is in the process of a divorce she doesn't want and it seemed a good time for my first trip abroad. The visit was something we both needed, it's been a year since we've seen each other. Though I am not privy to all the divorces gory details, just spending time together was enough. (Thank you rqm for helping me realize that.)

We spent all our time just being together and doing as we pleased... which was traveling, sightseeing,eating and shopping!


I would like to point out a few things about Europe you may not know...

It's old - sure, you know that but with old comes uneven pavement and lots of stairs. If you go, take your joint medication.

It is grey & dark - ok, so you know that too, but do you realize that sunrise is about 8AM and sunset is like 4PM? Mostly you do NOT see the sun and it does NOT warm up during the day.

The Queen will NOT invite you over for tea. She's not at Buckingham much. The good news is you will see queens if you go to the "circus" areas.

Their cemetery's are indoors! Yes, everyone is buried INSIDE a place called Westminster Abby and other such Minsters. Graves dating back to 1210...

Harrods is one of the largest department stores I have ever seen. Incredibly ostentatious and extremely tacky. The Diana/Dodi memorial is just creepy with everyone taking pictures behind it and all. Going the day after Boxing Day was NOT a good idea. In fact, it was sort of like New Years Eve, 11:58PM at Times Square only indoors.

Since I've been home my computer has crapped out so photos have not all been downloaded. I'll have some to post soon. Meanwhile, life goes on. My job was there when I returned, that's a good thing as there is a company freeze on my position.

Hope the New Year is going well for all.

4 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back to Florida where the sun shines like it is supposed to.
rQm

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Glad you enjoyed your time across the pond!

STB

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Technically, the UK isn't Europe. Not that I care, but they do!

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger CrackerLilo said...

Well, that answers the "why hasn't she updated lately?" question!

Glad you had a good trip. Sorry your daughter's dealing with divorce. Sometimes when you're hurting, just laughing and doing something different and not having to talk about it can feel so good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home