Saturday, March 10, 2007

Florida does it again...





You've probably heard about it... it was in Newsweek for crying out loud...the City Manager of Largo, Steven Stanton, is loosing his 14 year job. Why you say? Taking kick backs? Stealing from the city? Poor reviews or doing an incompetent job? Oral sex with an aid? No. He's having a sex change operation and the town's powers that be can't handle it. The City Counsel voted 3-2 to terminate him when he disclosed his intentions.

There were some supporters, Largo Mayor Pat Gerard said she supports Stanton.

"He's a dedicated city manager and puts his job first," she said. "I don't believe he should have to go away and hide out and have to re-emerge. The fact that we do that as a society is pitiful."

In the end, apparently Pastor Ron Sanders of Largo's Lighthouse Baptist Church said it best:
"If Jesus was here tonight, I can guarantee you he'd want him terminated. Make no mistake about it.''

Jesus wasn't there but there were enough of his followers to make sure they voted in favor of "god's will. There is more to the story naturally but the reason for the firing remains that he's a transsexual. That's it... great job for 14 years until THIS. It's his own fault. ""I do not feel he has the integrity, nor the trust, nor the respect, nor the confidence to continue as the city manager of the city of Largo,'' said Commissioner Mary Gray Black, who introduced a resolution to fire Stanton.

The whole thing makes me sick. I keep checking the calendar to see if it really reads 2007. Somehow, with the exception of a few gadgets, it seems more like 1907.
.....................................................................
Sunday update... the St. Petersburg Times ran this article about Steve today.
  • His Second Self

  • BTW, just got off the phone with my mother. She's not unhappy he's been fired.... not because of his sexual preferences however. They were former neighbors and apparently he was the pain in the ass of the neighborhood. :)
    http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/11/Northpinellas/His_second_self.shtml

    5 Comments:

    At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think that Stanton has a heck of a lawsuit. My analysis of the law is on my blog at http://jweissdiary.blogspot.com

     
    At 10:46 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

    Oh my. Yes, this is a tragedy, but then...the last six years have been a tragedy.

    I'm sure he has a lawsuit, but that in itself says so much.

    STB

     
    At 12:31 PM, Blogger "T" said...

    Shame, really.

    I just can't see things ever changing.

    Hate for so many is so deeply embedded...

    All we can do is teach our children to be fair and equal.

     
    At 3:34 AM, Blogger alan said...

    I can't believe that people can't see this for the bigotry it is!

    I as well wonder what year it really is sometimes!

    alan

     
    At 8:35 AM, Blogger dondon009 said...

    We all knew religion would once again, raise it's ugly head!

    My only problem with this is that I wish he could have waited until his 13 year old son was older.

    Children that age can be so cruel, and I'm afraid that child is being teased/harassed to death.

    DON~

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home