Monday, September 04, 2006

brain washing 101

Two of the unexpected, uninvited group of relatives who descended upon us this week were adorable 7 year old grand nieces. Granddaughters to my sister-in-law, they are darling well behaved children. So smart and so cute, it's a pleasure to be in their company.

They attend a "christian" school.

This evening they wanted to watch a video while the grown-ups visited. Aunt Connie made a big bowl of popcorn; poured orange juice into wine glasses for the girls and pulled out a pile of DVD's. The deal was they had to agree on one. As we sorted through my stash of movies I pulled out the Harry Potter series. Niece One said, "I love Harry Potter!" Niece Two said, I used to love Harry Potter but I am not allowed to watch it any more. I asked her why. Her reply? .... "My teacher told me it was bad to watch Harry Potter so now I am not allowed."

I asked if she was allowed to watch "The Wizard of Oz" and "Star Wars"? Apparently they are not banned. I said it is the same story, good verses evil. Well, she didn't know about that... all she knows is her teacher told her not to like Harry Potter so she doesn't.

Earlier today, they were in our car discussing when they were going home. Niece Two said she had to be home Thursday for school AND next weekend because she was going dove hunting. HUH??? Indeed, she has hew own camouflage outfit and HER OWN GUN. She's going with her Grampy and uncles out in the woods to shoot birds until they are dead. But, she's not allowed to watch Harry Potter.

Sadly, another lemming is born while the teacher mixes Kool Aid.

6 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger Twisted Lady said...

"banned"

?

That is seriously messed up.

Hunting should be banned.

JMO

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger alan said...

It's truly amazing where some people draw lines...

alan

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger RED QUILT MAKER said...

Maybe those nieces need bathing caps? To keep out the bad vibes, I'm just sayin.
rQm

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Connie in FL said...

Excellent idea, RQM!
Wonder if the teacher allows head gear in classL?

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger dondon009 said...

Hypocrisy at its' finest, my dear......

Doesn't it just burn you up?

DON~

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger CrackerLilo said...

My cousins are raised the same way; it breaks my heart.

I just think that at least they get to see something different with me. And your nieces are with you, as well.

*hug*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home