Saturday, October 08, 2005

End of an Era




We had both been married once before. Each of us were new to the area, me for a week, him for three days. Neither of us looking for someone... both content to play the field and take our time getting over the last relationship. My mother nagged me to "meet people my own age." I just wanted to be left alone. In self defense, I agreed to attend a Parents Without Partners meeting. His cousin convinced him it was a great place to meet girls.

Upon arrival, I was directed to join a twenties and thirties group. He was there with his cousin. I was tiny then... size zero, auburn hair without any gray. Sometimes I fancied myself cute but never beautiful. Still, his cousin thought I was hot. (gag... he was not... the cousin that is.) The losers club. That's what went through my head. We are all a bunch of losers. After the "meeting" the folks in their 30's and 40's gather at a local nightclub. I got into my car and started home. Checking the clock I was convinced my mother would not buy the fact I'd given this club a chance so I drove around a while then decided I had nothing to loose by going to the club for one drink.

Being the last to arrive, there was only one empty chair... the one next to "B." His cousin wanted to trade seats but they never did. My nose was high in the air. Losers. I thought. One drink and I'm out of here. The rule was, if asked to dance you had to say yes. Cousin asked and I wanted to bolt but I danced. Then "B" asked. A slow dance, nice, it was good, he was cute. We talked and danced some more. As I got up to leave he asked if I would go out with him... tomorrow, Saturday. ::deep breath... ???:: I gave him my phone number. He called and it was a date.

We went somewhere safe for dinner then back to that same nightclub. On Monday he picked me up for the club's weekly volley ball game. The following weekend we went to Jack's Place at the Adam's Mark Hotel on Clearwater Beach. Live band, he made it romatic, it was wonderful. After that, every weekend... we were there. The steel drums on the Tiki deck at sunset then inside for the band. We courted and fell in love there. We always sat up front, next to the dance floor. It was a part of our lives for so many years even after we were married. We held each other close on that dance floor every weekend for so, so long.

This morning they imploded the Adam's Mark to make way for high dollar condos. Tonight we drove by to see the pile of rubble. It was sad... very sad. We haven't been there... to Jack's or a sunset... for years. Things changed and the live bands quit playing a long time ago. But it's still sad. Twenty-three years ago it was the place to be for us on a Saturday night. Tonight it was a melancholy ride by of what was. I'm very sorry to see it go.


Adam's Mark demolition video

5 Comments:

At 7:06 AM, Blogger dondon009 said...

Thanks for this post. It brought back so many happy memories! I also remember the Adam's Mark Hotel, and it's Tiki deck. It wasn't so very long ago that I sat at oneof the tables shaded by an umbrella made of dried palm leaves drinking Malibu Rum and Pineapple juice. It seems everytime I had friends and family visit, cocktails at the Adams Mark was on the schedule. I had lunch with my parents there...... and with my adopted son and his son. My best friend Jimmy and I would have drinks there every year when he would visit... and then again with his wife and sons when he got married. Somehow, relaxing with a drink [or two], overlooking the calm waters from the Gulf, watching the boats sail by, listening to Caribbean or Reggae music; surrounded by friends and family was the picture postcard of life in Florida. It was difficult trying to convince those visitors from the north that "I have to get up and go to work, tomorrow!"
As more hotels and motels continue to be destroyed to make way for overpriced condominiums, Clearwater Beach as it was will never be the same. How sad.......

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Tout doit changer.

Yes, everything must change. But at what price really? Is all we are to be left with simply more concrete canyons?

Saying that, I realize that the Houston I once knew is no longer here.

Yes, everything must change.

Welcome back GFF!

STB

 
At 1:40 PM, Blogger Anne said...

tha's funny-i saw that on the news last night. isn't it weird that we demolish a lot of 70's-era structures, and yet bulidings that are much older remain? doesn't say much for 70's design/durability, does it?!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger dondon009 said...

Beautiful but sad photograph....
The end of an era!

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Sublime said...

Hello ConnieJane,

Thank you for sharing such a great story. I love to hear about how people met and fell in love. Also, nice to give pause to a place so close to your heart.

The memory will keep it alive for you, but I understand your sorrow - if that is the right word to use?

Take care,
Sublime

 

Post a Comment

<< Home